Communication: the indispensable skill. You can go nowhere without it. In business. In sport. The medical world. and most importantly, relationships.
Definition: It is simply the act of transferring information from one place, person, or group to another. … good communication skills are considered so desirable by employers around the world: accurate, effective, and unambiguous communication is actually extremely hard. Skillsyouneed
Communication is core for peak performance on all levels.
It is not only employers which are searching for good communication but all facets of community! Thus, an intensive analysis of communication to improve the skill can do no harm. It should be high on the list of any skill development program.
One set of communication types
Facial Expressions. Gestures. Hobo Signs. Emoticons. Sign Language. Music. The Big Five Languages. English. Math. Programming Languages. Dawn Field in Toptenz.net
Another set of communication types
Verbal Communication. Storytelling. Crucial Conversations. Written Communication. Nonverbal Communication. Body Language. Eye Contact. Facial Expressions. Posture. Touch. Space. University of Minnesota
What is a good communication skill?
Communication skills involve listening, speaking, observing and empathizing in a way that the listener understands what the sender said. Indeed.com
Top 10 Communication Skills
Being a good listener is one of the best ways to be a good communicator. Through active listening, you can better understand what the other person is trying to say and can respond appropriately.
2. Nonverbal Communication
Your body language, eye contact, hand gestures, and tone of voice all colour the message you are trying to convey. Also, pay attention to other people’s nonverbal signals while you are talking.
3. Clarity and Concision
Say what you want clearly and directly, whether you are speaking to someone in person, on the phone, or via email. Think about what you want to say before you say it.
Through a friendly tone, a personal question, or simply a smile, you will encourage your co-workers to engage in open and honest communication with you.
Confidence shows your co-workers that you believe in what you are saying and will follow through. Exuding confidence can be as simple as making eye contact or using a firm but friendly tone.
Skills we can practice to become excellent communicators
Using phrases as simple as “I understand where you are coming from” demonstrate that you have been listening to the other person and respect their opinions.
By being willing to enter into a dialogue, even with people with whom you disagree, you will be able to have more honest, productive conversations.
People will be more open to communicating with you if you convey respect for them and their ideas. Convey respect through email by taking the time to edit your message.
Being able to give and receive feedback appropriately is an important communication skill.
10. Picking the Right Medium
You should think about the person with whom you wish to speak, if they are a very busy person, you might want to convey your message through email.
Alison Doyle in The Balance Careers.com Communication Skills List
Communication: the indispensable skill
See an alternative set of skills: Habits for well being.com and for barriers to effective communication.
Communication skills include:
Apple. Absorbing, sharing, and understanding information presented.
Breadfruit. Communicating (whether by pen, mouth, etc.) in a way that others grasp.
Carambola. Respecting others’ points of view through engagement and interest.
Date fruit. Using relevant knowledge, know-how, and skills to explain and clarify thoughts and ideas.
Elderberries. Listening to others when they communicate, asking questions to better understand. Christian Eilers from Zety.com Blog Communication Skills
Why are communication skills important?
First, 13 reasons why workplace communication matters:
1. Workplace communication improves productivity.
2. Employees who are scored highest in productivity continually receive effective communication ratings from their superiors.
3. Absenteeism and turnover rates decrease when a strong emphasis on workplace communication is valued within the company.
4. Employees feel more secure when they are on the receiving end of truthful communication and updates from superiors.
5. Employees feel valued in sharing ideas, thoughts, and concerns within the organization.
6. Companies that provide communication training help reduce barriers due to language and cultural differences.
7. Training of domestic and international employees in effective communication avoids cultural confusion.
8. Companies that prepare workers to excel with verbal and nonverbal communications skills find it easier to enter into global marketplaces.
9. Effective workplace communication helps employees form highly efficient teams.
10. Unhealthy competition between departments decrease, ensuring that employees work together harmoniously.
11. Teams that work together report higher productivity, responsibility, and integrity.
12. When everyone in the organization knows his or her role, they feel valued.
13. Employee morale is highest when communication happens authentically and effectively. Nozomi Morgan wrote in Ellevatenetwork.com Why workplace communication matters
The image shows the benefits of good communication in the workplace
Blog.Smarp.com Written by Valène Jouany & Kristina Martic
Secondly, importance of communication in social relationships
Communication skills are the key to developing (and keeping) friendships and to building a strong social support network. They also help you take care of your own needs, while being respectful of the needs of others.
People aren’t born with good communication skills; like any other skill, they are learned through trial and error and repeated practice! Anxiety Canada.com Effective Communication
4 Productive ways to improve your communication skills
1. Listen with empathy.
Empathy is the ability to understand the feelings, thoughts, and beliefs of another person. Exactly this is the reason why organizations have started developing empathy in the workplace.
2. Speak up.
Communication begins with you. Take responsibility and start communication, do not wait and expect another person to do so and don’t hide behind various forms of online communication.
3. Prepare what you are going to say.
Think before you speak. Most of us work best when we have time to process our own thoughts before we share them.
4. Be ready for different answers.
As you formulate a speech strategy, put yourself in the position of a person who will listen to you. No one can predict with certainty how other people will react. Improve chances of a successful conversation by expecting negative answers and queries. Blog.Smarp.com Written by Valène Jouany & Kristina Martic
Communication: the indispensable skill
9 Tips for improving your communications skills
I. Make communication a priority.
II. Simplify and stay on message.
III. Engage your listeners or readers.
IV. Take time to respond.
V. Make sure you are understood.
VI. Develop your listening skills, too.
VII. Body language is important.
VIII. Maintain eye contact.
IX. Respect your audience. Joel Garfinkle
14 Proven ways to improve your communication skills
1. Learn the basics of nonverbal communication.
2. You have to over-communicate just to communicate.
3. Avoid relying on visual aids.
4. Ask for honest feedback.
5. Engage the audience in discussion.
6. Start and end with key points.
7. Use the PIP(Purpose, Importance, Preview) approach.
8. Record important presentations for posterity.
9. Master the art of timing.
10. Get comfortable speaking extemporaneously.
11. Get to know your audience.
12. Add novelty to improve audience retention.
13. Focus on earning respect instead of laughs.
14. Be a listener. Deep Patel Entrepreneur.com
Possessing strong communication skills will help you in many facets of your life and most certainly, in the workplace. Good communication helps create better teams, positive experiences with those we interact with, and are critical for leadership. Mat Apodaca
Communication will always reward you when you treat it with the respect it deserves.
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw
We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. Epictetus
Effective communication is 20% what you know and 80% how you feel about what you know. Jim Rohn
The communication of the dead is tongued with fire beyond the language of the living. T. S. Eliot
Communication is a skill that you can learn. It is like riding a bicycle or typing. If you are willing to work at it, you can rapidly improve the quality of every part of your life. Brian Tracy
Number one, cash is king… number two, communicate… number three, buy or bury the competition. Jack Welch
A man has a property in his opinions and the free communication of them. James Madison
Communication is everyone’s panacea for everything. Tom Peters
Communication – the human connection – is the key to personal and career success. Paul J. Meyer
I see dance being used as communication between body and soul, to express what it too deep to find for words. Ruth St. Denis
Writing and cookery are just two different means of communication. Maya Angelou
Trust is the glue of life. It is the most essential ingredient in effective communication. It is the foundational principle that holds all relationships. Stephen Covey
Read more communication quotes at Brainyquote.com